Vehicle Donation Program
ONE CAR EQUALS ONE WEEK AT THE RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE!
Donations of a used car, truck, boat or RV can help provide families a home-away-from-home at Ronald McDonald House® in Fort Myers and keep them together during the hospitalization of a seriously ill child. Vehicles are picked up for free! Donations are tax deductible.
Frequently asked questions:
- Why should I donate my car? The sale of each vehicle can provide a home-away-from-home for a hospitalized child and their family at the Ronald McDonald House® in Fort Myers, FL. You may be surprised at how much of a difference one donated vehicle can make. The proceeds from a single donated car can provide one week or more for a family at the Ronald McDonald House.
- What happens to my car after I donate it? The vehicle will be sold at auction, with the proceeds from the sale going straight to Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Southwest Florida.
- Will it cost me anything to donate my vehicle? No. We pick up your vehicle for free, and handle all of the paperwork.
- How much money will you get for my donated car? Each vehicle is different, but the average sale price for donated vehicles is $700, enough to cover a one week stay at the Ronald McDonald House for a family of four.
- Do you accept vehicles that don’t work or look bad? Yes. We will accept vehicles in any condition, including those that don’t work. We will tow them for free!
- We live far away/outside of Fort Myers – can I donate my car? Yes. We can accept vehicles from anywhere in the U.S, and we will tow them for free!
- How do I donate my car? DONATE TODAY: If you would like to donate your vehicle today, we can take your information and you will be contacted this week to coordinate pick up of your vehicle. Please call Amy at 239-437-0202. DONATE LATER: If you would like to donate your vehicle at a later date, you can either call 614-227-7435, 855-227-7435 or check out the website. Either way, our auto auction partner Insurance Auto Auctions (IAA) collects some basic information in regard to you, the donor, and your vehicle. In addition, they set the time for the tow to be scheduled and review the title documentation needed. IAA will remind you to prepare the vehicle and let you know they will be securing the title, keys and vehicle at time of pick up.
- Once my vehicle is sold, how fast are proceeds sent to RMHC Southwest Florida? Proceeds from the sale of your vehicle will be sent to Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southwest Florida within two weeks of the sale.
- Once I donate my vehicle, how quickly does IAA pick the vehicle up and is there a tow fee? Within 100 miles of IAA’s 160 locations we pick-up within 24 hours, outside of that is typically two days. There is no charge to the donor for towing.
- Does RMHC accept the donation of boats and trailers? If so, must a boat be trailered? In most cases boats need to be trailered. Generally speaking, most of the boats that are not trailered would cost more to process than they are worth. Exceptions would be boats that are of higher value (i.e. a functional sailboat that is still in the water). Each boat is treated uniquely and measured for its return vs. costs.
- Does RMHC accept the donation of farm equipment – even large equipment? Yes RMHC accepts donations of large farm equipment, construction equipment and much more! Often farming or construction equipment is too large or cumbersome to move. In these cases, IAA will have images of the unit taken, and will sell the unit via their specialty sale online. This process is referred to as a “site sale” simply meaning the unit is not moved to be sold. One the unit sells; the buyer is responsible for removing the unit from the property.
- Does IAA handle airplanes, campers, trailers, etc.? Yes, we handle and sell it all – from a moped to a tractor trailer, farming and construction equipment and everything in between.
- When will I receive my tax receipt? On average, your receipt is sent within 30 days after the pick-up of the vehicle.
- Do you handle the tax documentation? Yes, we manage all the tax reporting, donor tax forms and provide the donor with the sales receipt. We also take care of the charity’s responsibility to IRS at the end of the year.
- Is my Social Security required? A Social Security is not required if the vehicle sells below $500. If the vehicle sells for more than $499, per IRS IAA is required to have your Social Security number on the tax receipt and then you can deduct the actual sale price of their vehicle.
- Do I have to provide the vehicle’s title? It is based upon the state laws within the state that the vehicle is located in and year of the vehicle being donated. However, we will walk you through the title documentation needed. If you don’t have the vehicle’s title, we will have our Title Solutions Department assist in getting the proper documentation needed to obtain a duplicate title.
- What are the hours of the call center? Our call center has 24-hour coverage 7 days a week. The call center is open from 8AM to 8PM eastern time and an after hour answering service handles all other times.
Thank you so much for your support and please let us know if you need any assistance!